lunes, 6 de septiembre de 2010

Reminiscences of the past...or how to be fooled by your Granny.


When me and my cousins were no more than wee kids, my granny made us eat the doomed chards in a rice soup called by her “Rice with flags”, that way, we were fooled into eat the vegetables with pleasure...truth to be told...my cousins were the ones who needed to be fooled, I’ve always loved vegetables!!!!

With my cousin Ximo
Me and my grannie

The game consisted in picking up a chard with the spoon and toast: For Spain!! or For Whateverland!!! and then, country after country, without noticing we ate all the vegs. Then I though it was pretty stupid, nowadays I think it was really clever!

I don’t know why, but this recipe is what “comfort food” is for me, a warmer for cold days, and also something to feed the soul with tender care when you need to. Probably as all the dishes our grannies prepare, and maybe because it always made me feel better. 



Being from Valencia, rice is something that I’m used to eat almost as much as Asian people. All our principal dishes or traditional meals are around rice, so probably this recipe will be the first based on rice of many. Someday I’ll explain somethings about rice that I think are very interesting (for example how it gave me the creeps to watch the chef of my job in Ireland cook the rice...it’ll give me nightmares for years!)



I’m going to talk about this recipe as “rice with flags” instead of “rice with chards” because it’ll always be more appealing. And because you can also make it with spinach, I had to do it once, because while poaching the chards, I was talking with one of my cousins and I became distracted, so the chards ended up all burnt and I didn’t had any more chards at home.

Some people don’t like chards, even if they like vegetables. Is like a very uninspiring green leaf that once cooked is like eating a boiled tablecloth, with an oxidised taste and a terrible brownish colour. This is because it is overcooked!!! Green vegetables had to cook just enough to lose that crispy texture of the raw leaf, but they have to keep their beuatiful color. Remember, color means vitamins, flavour means minerals. Both of them very important in our diet!! If you cook the vegetables less, they’ll keep the flavour, so you’ll need less salt to season them, and then it’ll be healthier for you!

After the boring and educative part...let’s get our hands dirty!!!

Here you have the recipe (I forgot to tell, but almost all the recipes will be for 4 servings):

180 gr of rice (Japonica, not Indica, or more simple, not Basmati kind of rice, use the one for pudding)

Japonica Rice

Indica Rice
500 gr of chards
2 garlic cloves
1 medium ripe tomato
80 gr of cooked beans (not baked, just white beans boiled)
1 tsp of sweet paprika
2 threads of saffron
4 tbsp of olive oil
1 L of water
Salt to taste.

- Chop as finely as you can the garlic cloves and reserve
- Grate the tomato.
- In a saucepan, pour the oil and add the garlic. Turn on the fire, but it has to be very low, or the garlic will burn. Let it cook less than a minute
- Add the paprika and stirr it quickly with a spoon, then add the grated tomato and let it boil.
- Cut the chard leaves into bits of two fingers wide and add to the saucepan. Season with a bit of salt and remove. Put the lid on and let it cook until the chards reduce their initial volume to a third.
- Add the water and let it simmer for fifteen minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed. Take into account that the rice and beans will make the soup a bit bland, so you’ll need a bit more salt than you think.
- Add the saffron threads and the rice.

VERY IMPORTANT


- The rice has to be cooked exactly like this: The water has to boil quickly during the first 10 minutes, then slowly for the next five. Stirr it from time to time to avoid the rice to stick to the bottom of the saucepan
- When you have to lower the fire, add the beans.
- Try the rice, if its to hard to your taste, let it cook for another two minutes, and proceed the same way until it is to your taste. For me fifteen, twenty minutes would be perfect, but I can’t stand the rice overcooked. I’m that special!!^^
- Serve into a deep plate and enjoy!!!


The rice with flags I made for the ocasion...some people add snails, but I don't like them, they're slimy and you have to cook them alive!

Hope you’ll like it! It is one of my favourite traditional spanish recipes!!! (But someday I’ll explain one that for me is repulsive, but is really tasty, in regard of one of my followers!!!)

PS: Although I already have a job, I'll keep on with the recipes, I'm enjoying it a lot!

7 comentarios:

  1. ains ahora tengo curiosidad por la receta misteriosa @_@

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Nuuuhhhh... that one there's no way I like it.
    I hate chards so much, yuck!
    LOL You can have my part of chards

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Reich: I know you'll not like it, buuut, I luuurve it!

    Killdren: Ask Paco about that recipe!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Reich: I trade you your chards for my beans (If they're not baket they're not my type of beans XDD)
    I'd like to catch the flags, though. I'm one of those who, at her 26, still makes fields of corn out of the potato mash with the fork and plays a farmer dies and their kids divide the land ^///^

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Que monas en las fotos! y por la receta tengo que ser como Reich aqui, Yuck... mi mami hacia el arroz con pescadilla que siempre asociare con "la comida de cuando estas malita", y que odiaba a muerte, esto me lo ha recordado XD

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Ostias, no recodaba haberme habierto esto!!!
    Soy la Sue XD

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Qué post más entrañable! A mí me costaban mucho también las verduras como a tus cousins. Ojala en mi infancia me hubieran hablado de banderas... un beso.

    ResponderEliminar